Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Conformist

This was a totally random assignment from my Literature and Psychoanalysis class from last year (my sophomore year). It was the 'final' for the class, and seeing as we were all art students, she wanted us to somehow represent a character from one of the books we read in the second semester. We could write a 'diary entry' or make some sort of piece about the character. I decided to make a comic that was written like a diary entry! Aha! I'm so good?
The character is Marcello from the book 'The Conformist' by Alberto Moravia. I found this character interesting, mostly because he is tortured on the inside. He has the desire to be violent and to hurt people and things around him, but he knows it isn't normal. He joins the police force which helps him find a way to release all of that desire in some way. I don't remember the entire thing - and we didn't read all of it, but this is mostly about when he was younger and when he was having all of these conflicting feelings about what was wrong and right.

1 comment:

  1. Oh sweet jesus!

    When that salamander goes down I gasped.

    AWESOME silhouette/splatter choice for that panel!

    ReplyDelete